Google Search

Google
 

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Street Kings (A Review)



I've gone on record before and said I think Keanu Reeves is a decent actor who gets a bad rap. He was great in many films like My Own Private Idaho, Parenthood, The Matrix, and Constantine to name a few. I think there's a general caricature that people and the media give him from his general vernacular and how he carries himself. Sure, he's been in a bunch of crap but so has many actors out there.

That being said, I loved Street Kings. The cast was great.

I've decided a while ago that any movie with Forest Whitaker is a movie I will take the time to watch. Hugh Laurie brought his slightly sarcastic character trait that makes watching House so fun to watch to this performance.

Then there's Chris Evans. I first got wind of this actor from his performance in the movie Cellular alongside Kim Bassinger. Then he starred as The Human Torch in The Fantastic Four movies. He has a sense of charisma that makes him interesting to watch. It was his dramatic turn in the movie Sunshine that made me decide he's worth my while to watch as a legitimate actor. He held his own in this film among the stellar cast. Some of the most entertaining scenes involve him and Keanu Reeve's "Tom Ludlow" character.

Rounding out the cast are Jay Mohr, Common, Cedric The Entertainer, and The Game.

For those who know me, they know I'm a big fan of TV shows like 24 and The Shield. Season 6 of The Sheild had Forest Whitaker as a badass evil character. I feel his character in this movie resonated a similar feeling. It blended well with the L.A. street story. It was right up my alley, a cool popcorn flick.

I believe anyone who loves shows like 24, The Shield, or The Wire, will like this movie too. It's written well, it's acted very well, and it's an overall entertaining movie that is obviously from the same vein as Training Day.

If I had stars, I'd give this movie 4 1/4 out of 5.

No comments: