Google Search

Google
 

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

RIP Barry Rick of BRick Entertainment

Ten years ago, I gained new commercial representation (I am an actor) with Barry Rick. He was, at the time, running the commercial department through Zanuck, Passon, and Pace. In 2003, he split from them and created his own commercial agency which quickly gained notoriety and a great reputation among actors and the casting world.

Barry was the first and only commercial agent I've ever had that dealt with me more like a person and less like a detached agent focused solely on money. He came from a manager background and was able, almost seemlessly, to pay attention to his clients equally while also negotiating well with advertisers regarding pay.

I booked a total of 15 commercials during the ten years I was repped by him. He was key in the direction my commercial career moved. He wasn't just an agent, he was also a friend, gave great advice, and was a patient listener.

This past year found him moving back home to Maryland where he dealt with medical complications which only got worse as the year progressed. I lost touch with him a month ago when complications got worse. I was communicating with his replacement, Kenny, and he kept me up to date on Barry's health when he had news to give.

I found out today that Barry passed away last week.

I know I just typed a handful here but words can't really express how I'm feeling.

Below is taken from the email I received about his passing:

To honor Barry's commitment to education and his support of the Emerson College Los Angeles Center internship program, a scholarship has been established in his name to award funds to Emerson students who are selected for internships at BRick Entertainment during their semester-long studies in Los Angeles. Contributions should be made payable to Emerson College with a notation "Barry Rick Scholarship" in the memo line.

Contributions should be sent to

Amy Meyers
Emerson College
120 Boylston Street, 7th floor
Boston, MA 02116-4624

No comments: