Google Search

Google
 

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Choke




Well I am finally getting around to writing up this short little review of this little gem of a film. I first read Choke in 2002 I believe. Being that I was still at the height of my reading frenzy of any Chuck Palahniuk book I could get a hold of, this was third on my list (Before it were Fight Club and Invisible Monsters...after it were Survivor and Diary). I really enjoyed the book. So when I heard the movie version was finally coming out, I was thrilled.

Moreover, I love Sam Rockwell. He is definitely not as big as he should be in this industry. The performance he brings to Vincent is fantastic. There are many correlations between this story and that of "Jack" in Fight Club. They are both attending recovery group meetings and both have a similar arc regarding discovery of identity. But this movie is more-so a comedy that deals with some seriously deep issues regarding loss during one's childhood. Or...a loss of one's childhood altogether, bringing about a dire need of seeking acceptance of anyone. Whether it's having sex with every woman who works at the hospital your mother is a patient at. Or choking on food at restaurants to be saved by strangers.

Like the book, the movie does a great justice to tying all these elements of the story together in almost a natural way to bring about the cohesive ending and closure of the character's problems.

I just did my best to talk about it without really talking about it. Sadly, this movie will make no money in the box office. I wish it would because it was great. Here's hoping we won't have to wait another 10 years for another Palahniuk book to be made into a movie.

If I had stars, it'd get 4 out of 5.

No comments: