Google Search

Google
 

Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Brave One



The Brave One was the latest dvd I received through Netflix. I remember when the movie came out, I was not very interested in seeing it. There's something about Jodie Foster that makes me either really want to see a movie or really not. So I passed this one by. I did hear, however, from my best friend that this movie was really worth my time.

It was.

Damn this movie kicked ass! Neil Jordan is a great director and really has this talent for making fear and an impending sense of doom into some twisted romance. Jodie Foster and Terrence Howard were great. Above that, I loved the story. I think you pretty much get it from the trailer. This movie explores the human psyche of a woman who loses everything in her lover who is murdered and gets fed up with the law, therefore taking matters into her own hands. It had me questioning if I'd be able to do such a thing.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think this is a romantic movie. But there were moments where it did feel dreamlike. I can only imagine how it would feel to murder people, how things would work in one's head. Possibly a dreamlike state? Whatever....this movie pulls no punches, literally. It's also a bit dark and violent, so for those out there with weak stomachs like my mother (who walked out of the room), this ain't for you.

4 out of 5 stars

No comments: