Google Search

Google
 

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead



I heard about this movie through a co-worker of mine a couple of months ago. He started a conversation with me about movies and asked me if I ever heard of this one, which I hadn't. It apparently is one of those gems that never got theatrical distribution. I added it to the Netflix queue and just had the time recently to sit down and watch it.

I think Philip Seymore Hoffman is one of those actors that I can watch in almost anything....Capote was too boring. Him and Ethan Hawke star in this one as brothers who get involved in some not so brotherly activities. Albert Finney plays their father. Also in the movie is Marisa Tomei who is topless alot. So you get to see Tomei Ta-Ta's!

I think it's also worth pointing out that this is one of Sidney Lumet's last films before he passed away. In case you're wondering, he's the director that is responsible for gems like 12 Angry Men, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico and Network.

I really enjoyed this film. But I'll say this, it's one fucked up movie. It is kind of in the same vein as Happiness and A Simple Plan in regards to how the events unfold into worse and even worse circumstances. Both Hawke and Hoffman are excellent in this one. I think the story was presented in an interesting narrative. The film jumps back and forth into different characters' time lines which I like if it's done well.

Overall, I'd if I had stars, I'd give this movie 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

No comments: