Google Search

Google
 

Monday, November 24, 2008

W.



As I mentioned in the last blog post, I've been slacking off on the reviews. I went and saw W. the week it came out which was I believe the week before the election. I'm just getting around to writing about it now.

I enjoyed this movie. The one thing I went to see was Josh Brolin's performance. I'm sure a lot of people were on the same page. Much like the movie Ray, or Walk The Line, I was wanting to see this actor portray this larger than life individual who is still our president. I say "larger than life" the way I would to describe a cartoon character. It's not meant really to be complementary or insulting.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this movie. The thing I found was that it didn't seem as much to be a partisan leaning message trying to sway the audience one way or the other. It really came off like a life story, in a sense, of this interesting character. Dare I even say, I found myself actually liking the guy towards the middle of the movie. I felt empathetic towards him. I found myself wondering if this is actually what it was really like. If our President is really like this. I felt sorry for him.

Josh Brolin's performance was amazing. And once again....we have a review of a movie that has Elizabeth Banks in it. Marry me, Ms Banks!

James Cromwell played George HW Bush. I wasn't too sold on it. He did well but I just wasn't sold on him being Bush Sr.

The movie does have a great cast. Ellen Burstyn as Barbara Bush, Scott Glenn as Donald Rumsfeld, Jeffrey Wright as Colin Powell. The three, though, who stand out as a casting job very well done were Thandie Newton as Condoleeza Rice, Toby Jones as Karl Rove, and Richard Dreyfuss as Dick Cheney. Seriously...Richard Dreyfuss's portrayal of Dick Cheney was uncanny.

I'd suggest anyone go see this movie. It was enjoyable. Very much a character study of modern times.

I'd give it 3 1/2 stars.

No comments: