Google Search

Google
 

Thursday, May 15, 2008

There's a racist in my family

Needless to say, I'm a bit put off by what my mother informed me of yesterday.

I was watching last night's episode of The Daily Show. There was a segment in which Jon Stewart was talking about how Clinton won overwhelmingly in West Virginia. He went on to discuss how the media was describing West Virginia's majority being white blue collar workers who did not graduate college. Jon wasn't believing this. He then played a few clips of people who live within the state. Clips of stereotypical looking small town types denouncing Obama for his race, for his middle name, for him being a Muslim.

It pissed me off. How fucking stupid can you be? I mean, they should just say they're not voting for him because they're ignorant. Because, to not vote for someone over those reasons, you have to be ignorant. His middle name is Hussein. So what? He isn't a Muslim. That's misinformation right there. What makes me more angry is the concept that you're a Democrat but would rather vote for McCain than Obama if Obama gets the nomination.

How the hell does this even make sense? Doesn't that infringe upon the basic Democratic beliefs that uphold this party? Might as well start referring to you ignorant people as "Liebermans". I'm not insinuating Joe Lieberman is ignorant. But he was once a Democrat and endorses John McCain. So....you put two and two together.

What made me even more pissed off was what my mother told me. She recently had a talk with my cousin in law. She's an older woman who reminds me of a cross between Dolly Parton and Tammy Fay Baker. She has bedazzled cowboy hats and porcelain dolls in every room of her house. She is obsessed with soap operas and somewhat scares me.

She apparently told my mother that if Obama gets the nomination, she would vote for McCain. Why? Well because he's black, because he's a terrorist, because of Reverend Wright, because she heard somewhere Barack Obama is a violent man.

Interesting.

I heard somewhere McCain has a bad temper. I heard somewhere Bush was an alcoholic and had a cocaine problem. I heard somewhere the Earth was flat.

Some are truths and some aren't.

But seriously, maybe you should really investigate and educate yourself before basing beliefs and ideas on heresay.

I can't stand Hilary Clinton but if she got the nomination, I wouldn't hesitate to vote for her come election time. I'm not ashamed to admit that. But to state you won't vote for someone because of ignorant stereotypes and misinformation just makes me sad. It should make the individual sad.

They already are sad. But not in an emotional state. They're probably too ignorant to recognize a sad emotional state instigated by such sad affairs.

I'll go weep in the corner now.

No comments: