Google Search

Google
 

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull (review/addendum)

It's taken me a week to get myself to really sit down and write this review of the new Indiana Jones movie. Since I already posted a big blog entry about Indiana Jones here, I'm not going to post the trailers or pictures like I usually do in blog entries such as these.

I'm going to do my best and not post any spoilers for any of you out there that have yet to see this.

Plain and simple, I enjoyed this movie. I had a lot of fun in the theater. It may have been mostly because of nostalgia but that's fine. It was great seeing Harrison Ford back as Indiana Jones. 19 years later and I think it still works. I think everyone in the movie did a decent enough job for the movie as a whole. My least favorite was Cate Blanchett, to my surprise. I love her as an actress but her performance in this movie was borderline kabuki theater for me. I'm sure this is what George Lucas and Steven Spielberg wanted.

It's no surprise to me that George Lucas still has a tendency toward the hokey dialogue and the far fetched in regards to story. But all that aside, this movie still moved like an Indiana Jones movie to me. It resonated from the original concept that the story was derived from the 1920s and 1930s cliffhanger serial comics.

Some of what happens in this movie is indeed outlandish and far fetched. But if we really dissect the past Indiana Jones movies, there's very similar outlandish elements to those stories.

The one thing I could have probably had less of was the CGI. There's a certain scene with monkeys in the jungle that was a bit distracting. But it wasn't THAT bad.

There's something about Shia LeBeouf that I don't like. I'm not sure what it is. I believe he's a pretty good actor. My best friend thinks I don't like him because he is the actor I wanted to be 10 years ago. As if I were jealous. I'm not sure if that's it. I think it's safe to say that's not it.

He does a good job here in keeping up with the chemistry with Harrison Ford. I've even heard rumor that they will be making another Indy movie with Shia starring. We'll see. I hope not.

Bottom line, I enjoyed the movie. There were definite Spielberg moments that called back to different cinematic 80s movie moments. I'm thinking of the bike chase sequence in particular.

Sure, different choices could have been made but given the fact that this script went through 5 different versions and 5 different screen writers, I think the overall package was done pretty well.

I give it 3 1/2 stars out of 5....if I had stars of course.

No comments: