Google Search

Google
 

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Proposition



I recently received The Proposition in the mail from my Netflix list. This Western was released in 2005 and I never got a change to see it in the theaters. I really wanted to when I found out that it was written by Nick Cave. Sadly, I missed it's run in the theaters.

I am a fan of the Western movie genre and this film was quite unique in the fact that it took place in Australia. I've never seen an Australian Western. This movie has a phenomenal cast including Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone, Emily Watson, Danny Huston, and John Hurt.

The film was gritty, bloody, and beautiful to watch. I enjoyed the story and all of the actor's performances. However, I felt it to be quite slow moving. The movie was under 2 hours long and I kept checking the clock. That was the only thing I had against the film. I am aware of the sense of dread, romanticism, and longing that the slow moving elements of the film contributed to. I still had a problem with that.

But besides that, the film was great and well worth my time. I would suggest anyone who likes a good Western or is simply a Nick Cave fan to give this movie a shot. It's definitely not your regular run of the mill Western movie.

If I had Stars, I'd give this movie 4 out of 5.

No comments: