Google Search

Google
 

Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 tm

I'm not going to go on for long about this. It's September 11th, 2008. I am saddened every year to remember what the country went through 7 years ago and those who have experienced great loss. A few years ago, though, I started feeling a bit annoyed with all the "Never Forget" bulletins and comments I read on the internet every time this date comes around. Why annoyed? I feel like, it's turned into a bit of a brand name/vehicle/piece of propaganda. I felt I was in the minority in feeling this way, until I saw the video below. The same thing goes for me when I hear people question patriotism when a politician doesn't wear a flag pin. I feel it when I see an American Flag sticker on a car or when those American flags were attached to car windows forever. I know what country I live in. I am proud of where I come from. But I believe there is a fine line between that sense of pride and using it as a jumping off point into a bigger argument or worse yet, an agenda.



For what it's worth, my thoughts go out to those who lost someone in the attacks. I feel we all lost something that day, whether we lived in NY or elsewhere. I don't think it's possible anyone can ever forget.

No comments: